Lately I’ve been pining for an over-sized statement necklace that has a rustic touch. After scouring Etsy and local fairs, I submitted to the urge to make my very own. I had something so specific in mind that I knew the only way to satiate the urge would to be create it myself!
Using wooden beads, a unique color palette , and embroidery floss, I was able to create a one-of-a-kind color-blocked neck adornment that was both fun and just the right chunky size.
And the best part? It’s easy to make one yourself! Follow these easy steps to make your own using your favorite colors of the season.
1) Pick up a set of large wooden beads from your local craft store.
2) Tape off a portion of each bead – this part will retain the natural wood.
3) Choose your paint colors – make sure they work on porous surfaces. My favorites are the multi-purpose collection by Ms. Martha.
4) Paint your bead. You may need two coats depending on the color you’ve chosen.
5) Set you painted beads aside to dry.
6) Peal off the tape and touch up as needed.
7) Thread a large needle with your chosen color of embroidery floss and string through your beads.
8) Last but not least, knot a complimentary colored floss to your base piece. Cut off the ends and you’re done!
Have you found a fun way to bring together a popular trend with your favorite colors and textures? If so – tell us about it!
2 thoughts on “DIY: Painted Wooden Necklace”
i’m loving that yellow string…and your hair color! xo
Thank you dear! Yellow is an addiction. =)